►Sesame seeds may be the oldest condiment known to man. They are highly valued for their oil which is exceptionally resistant to rancidity. "Open sesame"-the famous phrase from the Arabian Nights-reflects the distinguishing feature of the sesame seed pod, which bursts open when it reaches maturity. The scientific name for sesame seeds is Sesamun indicum.
►Sesame seeds are tiny, flat oval seeds with a nutty taste and a delicate, almost invisible crunch. They come in a host of different colors, depending upon the variety, including white, yellow, black and red.
►Sesame seeds are highly valued for their high content of sesame oil, an oil that is very resistant to rancidity. Sesame seeds are the main ingredients in both tahini and the Middle Eastern sweet treat, halvah.
►It can be an excellent addition to granolas, trail mixes, salads, mueslis, hot cereals, buns, rolls, muffins, or pretzels and are also used in desserts like sesame balls, sesame seed toffee, and sesame cookies. Sesame seeds have a nutty, slightly sweet flavor and aroma that is enhanced by lightly heating.
►At Naturevibe, we specialise in manufacturing the powder in extremely favourable conditions from the land of exquisite spices, India. We follow the "farm to fork" process, wherein we take pride in having a conglomerate of farmers who are specially trained to hand-pick the finest raw material, which is then manufactured organically and ethically in our state of the art facility.
- Sesame seeds add a nutty taste and a delicate, almost invisible, crunch to many Asian dishes. They are also the main ingredients in tahini (sesame seed paste) and the wonderful Middle Eastern sweet call halvah. They are available throughout the year.
- Sesame seeds an excellent source of copper and a very good source of manganese, but they are also a good source of calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, vitamin B1, zinc, molybdenum, selenium, and dietary fiber.
- In addition to these important nutrients, sesame seeds contain two unique substances: sesamin and sesamolin. Both of these substances belong to a group of special beneficial fibers called lignans, and have been shown to have a cholesterol-lowering effect and to prevent high blood pressure and increase vitamin E.
- Sesame seeds are a great source of high quality protein, have rich nutty flavor. These seeds are ideal for baking and cooking. You can consume your organic sesame seeds by adding them in your salad and generally use them on many different recipes.
- Another reason for older men to make zinc-rich foods such as sesame seeds a regular part of their healthy way of eating is bone mineral density. The term "sesame butter" can sometimes refer to tahini made from sesame seed kernels, or it can also be used to mean a seed paste made from whole sesame seeds-hull included.