At the Battle of Midway the US Navy relied on two aircraft: the SBD-3 Dauntless dive bomber and TBD-1 Devastator torpedo bomber. At Midway, Dauntless aircraft crippled all four of the Japanese carriers. The importance of the Douglas SBD Dauntless’ performance over the course of the war cannot be overstated. Despite relatively poor manueverability and only adequate performance, it was this aircraft that crippled all four of the Japanese carriers in the theatre-defining Battle of Midway. Despite this performance, the type was phased out before war’s end, though it had only entered service in 1940. The TBD Devastator entered service in 1937 and enjoyed a brief tenure as the most advanced flying aircraft for any navy in the world. However, with rapidly evolving technology it was already outdated by the time of the attack on Pearl Harbor. At Midway, 41 Devastators recorded zero torpedo hits and only six returned to their carriers, their only arguable success being the distraction of the enemy Zeros from the Dauntless Dive Bombers. The aircraft was withdrawn from service shortly after Midway – replaced by the Grumman TBF Avenger.
- Blood Red Skies is a tabletop miniatures game where you command formations of fighter aircraft in battle. Action in the game is fast-paced with six or more planes per side, against another oponent creating a thrilling dogfight can be fought in forty-five minutes or less.
- Extra rules can be introduced to include the play cards that really bring your fighter aircraft to life, allowing you to fly them just as they would have been by the Ace's of WWII!
- Tilting base of the aircraft shows the status as advantaged, neutral or disadvantaged of your airplane throughout the game and could make all the difference during a dogfight!
- Mix and match different battles to create historical air combat or create your own epic scenarios.
- Ready to play out of the box with snap together pieces and stickers, but the construction and painting of the models and watching them come to life are just as much fun as the game itself!